Sunday, May 27, 2012

May I Introduce

David "Judah" Qualls

Born May 23, 2012
at 6:26 in the morning.

He weighed 7lbs. 1oz
and was 21 inches long.

Our hearts are beyond full. And as his name Judah tells us to, we are praising the Name of the Lord!


He sure took his time on deciding to make an appearance. But once his mind was made up, he was done wasting time. He got down to business and so did his Mama.


I woke up around 3am to a couple of hard contractions. But didn't take them too seriously until a little after 4:00 when I decided to call the midwife. We made a plan to meet at the center at 6:00 since it takes an hour for us to get there. Shortly before 5:00, the time we had planned to leave, I suddenly felt an urgency to get there. We quickly threw the rest of our stuff in the van and peeled out of the drive way. I was thankful to have my mother-in-law riding in the back with me. Her presence and her arms and hands were an amazing support to me.


The hour in the car was quite intense to say the least. I was praying we would just get there.
Ten minutes or so before we arrived, I knew something was changing. Denise, calmly encouraging me, said we would be there soon. I was so relieved at the the thought of the car ride being over. But before I could rejoice for long, my contractions began to roll over into another with hardly a pause in between. I knew it had to be soon. Just how soon would be the surprise of my life. 


As soon as we made it into the center, the midwife told me I was 8cm dilated. We 'walked' down the hallway. I tried to stop and breathe through the contraction, but I think Jill knew there would be no time. She and Dustin taking each arm, hoisted me to the back, as my feet shuffled to keep up. In my trance-like state, I couldn't understand why I couldn't just stop.


I heard voices telling me to do this and that. Get up on the bed? Is that what they said? But I was only allowed to do what my body told me to do. "I want to get in the tub, " I told them. She said no. "There's no time."



I found myself up on the bed surprised by the sudden change that was taking place in my body. The concentration and focus took every ounce of my energy. And I had to push.
This being my first unmedicated delivery I was surprised by the intensity of it. I had no choice. There was no stopping it.


Jill, my amazing midwife, was not caught by surprise. She answered my surprised, "I have to push!" with a calm, "Do what your body tells you."




And I did...

With the aid of one midwife and his daddy and before you could say lickety split, Little Man was HERE!!



Fifteen minutes after arriving at the birth center, Baby Judah joined our anxiously awaiting family.





I have found it amazing each time we have had a child that you don't have to try and love them. It doesn't take any work at all. It just happens. It's so natural. Easy. I love that. Your heart swells to another size. Just. Like. That.



I knew I wanted to name him after my Daddy. David means Beloved of God and my Daddy is beloved of me, so it fits nicely.
But we will call him Judah. I wanted the name of this baby to represent where God has brought us and the amazing work he has done in our hearts. I hope Leah of Genesis doesn't mind us copying her. We tried other names with similar meanings. But Judah is what my heart settled on from the very beginning. It means to Praise the Lord.



We aren't just surviving through life, through marriage, through parenting. We aren't roommates or cellmates or mates for life because we have to. We are walking together hand in hand, because we want to. And we are praising. With our hearts, with our lives, within our marriage and young family.
Praising the name of the one who has brought healing and hope. Granted forgiveness and renewal. And now another one of us as testimony to all He has done.




David Judah,
What a special blessing you are to us already. Even the thought of who you would be 9 months ago was enough blessing to make this Mama weep in praise.
And you are here now. And oh how deep our love runs for you.
I am loving getting to know you. How precious you are.
I love you, my sweet son. My heart overflows.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

He has delicious kissing lips

Mikal Qualls said...

I think it's funny how the kids keep asking when they can kiss them!

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

oh mika'l!! this was so incredibly sweet...i ALMOST forgot how handsome he was...almost.

now i miss him even more. sweet boy. he will be so loved.

lucky little stinker.

Erik and Sarah said...

wonderful news! thanks for sharing. we are rejoicing. welcome daniel judah!

the Harrys said...

Thank you for sharing this! What a wonderful story you will have to tell him when he is older!