Friday, August 31, 2012

Dear Deacon

Seven years old, huh?
 
I don't think anyone gave you permission to go and turn seven! Nope, not me.
 
 
 
Thinking back over this last year I realize that you are truly becoming a young man. You are no longer the little boy that used to snuggle so closely on my lap. And although I miss that sweet fuzzy-headed little boy, I love this young man that you are becoming.
 
 
 
 
You are still trying to find your place and you have a long way to go, but I see such promise in you, my son. You have a tender heart, you love deeply and you are determined.
 
 
 
 
Those are such good qualities to have. You can't be a good man without them. You can't be a good leader without first becoming a good servant.
 
 
 
 
One thing I want to challenge you with for this year and really for the rest of your years is what we read in our devotion just the other morning. Do you remember?
 
 
 
From 2 Samuel 10:12 -
 
    "Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight."
or as the KJV says "Be of good courage, and let us play the men for our people..."


 


"Be Brave!" Joab told his men. They were going to war and I'm sure some were scared. He had to remind them that God made them men! And they needed to play the part. It's hard being a man. It's hard being a good man.




What does it mean to be brave? Will you have to go to war? Maybe you will some day. And yes, you would have to be brave. But even if you never go to war with guns and grenades, you will still be fighting a war. A war for family and a war for God. And you must fight!
 
 


 
 
There was another passage we read. It came from 2 Peter 3:7-8:
 
"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble."
 



I know you don't have a wife yet. You better not! But you do have a Mom and you do have a sister! God was kind to give us to you so that you can get some practice time in! One day you might find yourself married, and guess what? You will have to play the man.
 
 
 


It takes bravery to show respect and kindness, to be compassionate and to put others before yourself. But I challenge you, to Play the Man!




I love you, my son and I am so thankful God chose to place you in our family. He could have given you to anyone in the whole world! But he saw fit to give you to us. What a gift you are.
 
 
 
Happy Birthday, Bud. I hope you feel special today. Because you are. Very Special.
 
 



 
Love,
Your Momma


 

2 comments:

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

HAHAHAHAHA. I loved this so much. It was sweet, funny and boyish.

You are very good at this.

Love you! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEACON!

Kelly said...

I just love this kid....Great goodness, I do!