Thursday, November 18, 2010

Latest Happenings on the Ukraine Trip

I can't believe we only have 5.5 weeks left until we leave.

And that means 5 weeks until Christmas... but that's a whole other load of stress.

We have been speaking to churches and anyone who will listen really. I love it when people ask me about what we will be doing. I love talking about this ministry. But it wasn't always so.

I hesitate sometimes. I don't really know what to say, how to say it. Because I don't know who I'm talking to. So instead of coming out with it, I don't really say anything, I leave them guessing. But that only makes them more interested. When I eventually tell them what kind of ministry I look embarrassed, then they become uncomfortable... I'm really good at making people feel uncomfortable.

But I think all of that is changing, at least the hesitating part.

Talking about post-abortion ministry is hard for me. Not because I am ashamed. Not because I don't want to be associated with. Not because I am embarrassed. It's none of those, not even close.

I LOVE this ministry. I LOVE these women. I LOVE seeing God's healing unfold before my very eyes. Really, it is that dramatic.

I just don't want to make you uncomfortable. I want to be sensitive. I want to tread lightly. But really, I think I have been afraid. I am being convicted of that.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Abortion Recovery Assistance Training Institute. It was a four day intense training on how to facilitate the Forgiven and Set Free Bible Study. I have been before, but this was different. It truly was amazing. Did I mention how much I LOVE being apart of this ministry??

I stayed with the director of the Piedmont Women's Center in Greenville. While there, she shared a story that really struck me. She had been talking with a friend and her friend's friend about what her work involved. She sensed that she needed to ask her friend's friend if he had an abortion in his past. So she did. Just like that. He responded with, "I can't believe I am telling you this, but yes, I do." Afterwards her friend said to her, "I can't believe the kind of boldness you have to just ask him that. You really do have a calling don't you?" Then she told us that we must have a boldness when talking about post-abortion ministry, because you never know who you are talking to.

Hey, that was my line.

That was my reason for NOT talking about it with people.

Then at some point during the training, one of the teachers reinforced the same thought. She told us that some of us might be flying home that weekend. And that person sitting next to us might need to hear about this ministry. She challenged us to take every opportunity to talk about the healing power of God through post-abortion ministry.

I was so convicted. How could God use me in this ministry if I am walking in fear of making someone uncomfortable. Sometimes that is necessary in order for God to show us our need. We have to feel the pain, the void before God can fill it. How else would we be aware of His workings? How else would we know Him as our redeemer? How else would He be glorified?

So I am praying for a boldness. A sensitive, gentle boldness.

Back to the update.... 

We will be speaking at Seaside Vineyard this Sunday. We have sent out support letters. I am waiting to hear an update on the progress in Ukraine from our team there. In the mean time there is a lot of studying to do. A lot of praying. A lot to get ready.

We are coming down to crunch time. And we covet your prayers. Not just for us, but for the 6 lovely women whom God wants to show Himself to....

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What's exciting to think about is not only the 6 woman whos lives will be changed forever, but the snowball effect that this will have in the lives of others placed in the woman's lives, then others and then others. I can see God growing this ministry already!