Saturday, December 4, 2010

To Wander


If you've never read a Francine Rivers book, you are missing out.

I am challenged and convicted, encouraged and enlightened each time I read her books. She has such a way of presenting the grace of God in very difficult circumstances. She also forces you to go back to Scripture to see what it says for yourself. She never demands it, of course. Only gives you an insatiable appetite for it!

I started reading one of her novella's a couple of days ago. These are really cool little books. She takes 5 women and 5 men from the Bible and makes their stories come alive one book at a time. Sometimes it's hard to see a Biblical character as a real person. It's easy to put them up on a pedestal and think that their lives were perfect. Even their sin seems less... offensive.

Unfortunately by doing that we miss the very important nuggets that God has for us.

The one I'm reading now is about the Prophet Amos. I don't really know much about this prophet so I am excited to learn about him. What I've learned so far is that he started out as a shepherd. And as you can imagine, his story begins tending his flock...

He had a troublesome ewe that would not stay with the rest of the flock. She was prone to wander and would get herself into trouble. This time she had her twin lambs with her and she had led them straight into a pack of waiting wolves. Her life had to end. Not because the wolf got her. No, she died at the hand of her shepherd. She was not only endangering her life, but the lives of the others and this is why he had to take her life.

Unfortunately her one twin had learned her ways. She too began to wander from the flock. She would not listen to the voice of her shepherd. She insisted on her own way. Maybe she was curious, maybe she thought she knew best, maybe she blamed her mother for the way she was, or maybe she was just that dumb.

Regardless, her shepherd would leave the rest of the flock and go in search for her every time. But this time, he knew that he had to do something or else he would have to take her life as well. He grimly took out his sling and picked up a stone. As the stone flew threw the air tears came to his eyes knowing the pain he was about to inflict. But he had no choice. He loved this little lamb and she needed to learn the voice of her shepherd.

The stone had been the perfect size. It did what he needed it to do.  The break would heal. She would be forced to stay by his side. She would learn to listen to the sound of his voice. He bandaged the leg and lifted her to his shoulders.

This is what he said to her, "You will learn to trust me and not think you can find better forage on your own. I will lead you to green pastures and still waters. Sometimes I must wound in order to protect. You will get used to my voice and come when I call. You bear my mark, little one. You are mine. Let me take care of you..."

I was so struck by these words. How often have you heard these same words from THE Shepherd? How often have you wandered off only to have Him come and rescue you? How often has He had to wound you in order to protect you? How often has He carried you upon his shoulders while you healed? How often has he led you to those peaceful streams?

So often.

And still I think I know better. Still I would rather go where I want to go and do what I want to do and blame others for it in the meantime.

Sometimes I lead others astray. I think of my children and how they watch me and then imitate me and then get punished for it. My sin doesn't only effect me. It hurts others. You'd think I would learn my lesson, but I don't.

Thankfully my Shepherd is the Great Shepherd. He is long suffering and His lovingkindness endures forever.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting...Who remembered us in our low estate, for His lovingkindness is everlasting, and has rescued us from our adversaries, for His lovingkindness is everlasting...     psalm 136

2 comments:

jesse said...

You reminded me of one of my favorite verses, Deuteronomy 33:12 which says "Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long; and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders. " Even when He has to wound us to bind us up, we are still in the best hands- and on the best shoulders.

Mikal Qualls said...

I love that, thanks for the verse...