Monday, October 4, 2010

An Impossible Job

There once was a girl who had a big job.
"Keep up!", she was told. "Do it just right!"
She was tired all the time and wanted to give up.
She worked hard all day and stayed up nights.

She tried and tried, but couldn't get it right.
What's wrong with me? She quietly sighed.
Everyone else does a perfect job, why can't I?
A tear slipped down her cheek as she cried.

Then one day she heard another voice, Stop trying, Beloved.
What did He say? What could this mean? Could this be true?
Could she really stop trying and still be good?
It means I came to give you rest and I love you.

None of it made sense. She was mad, she was angry.
What about all of this time? all of my trying? my reward?
She was afraid to give it up, what would people say?
For whom are you striving? Them or your Lord?

She decided to try, to try to stop trying.
What if I can't? Will You still love me? What if I fail?
You will fail, my Beloved. And that's why I came.
But my love will sustain you, my GRACE will prevail.

Now grace was a word that she had heard before.
But never had she heard it spoken with such promise, such love.
Slowly, oh so slowly she felt the burden begin to lift.
This is what had been missing wonderful JOY from above.

How thankful she was to finally quit her job.
It didn't matter, the questions, the looks, the stares.
She was His Beloved and He was hers.
What a relief it was, to be under His care.

Now a question for you:

Do you feel tired and burdened?
Are you trying your hardest?
Do you no longer have joy?
Could you use a rest?

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for soul."   Matthew 11:28-29

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."  Galatians 5:1

"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us."   Ephesians 1:7-8a

"Are you so foolish? having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" "Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God."   Galatians 3:3; 4:7

These are God's words to you...

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I needed the encouragement. Thank you!

Michele said...

May I print this to share with my high school girls Sunday school class?

Mikal Qualls said...

Wow! Absolutely!!