Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Very Special Place

If you've read 'My Story' then you are aware that I am the Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Beaufort Women's Center. Big name, I know, but please don't be impressed. I am really just a student, an honored guest, who feels so unworthy to be apart of this ministry.

But I am so thankful I am! Right now I am in Columbia, SC at a mini convention for the pregnancy centers of South Carolina. I'm not sure how many are represented here, mabye 10-20. These women are amazing! When I sit amongst them I have to fight off the temptation to #1 idolize them and #2 be intimidated by them. Some of these women have been through the ugly of starting up and keeping going a struggling pregnancy center. Who have sacrificed so much of their time, money, family, emotional stability, sanity! And have loved every minute of it. God is using them in ways we will never know on this earth.

And then I am reminded of the BWC and all of the amazing, self-sacrificing women (and men) that have kept that place going for over 25 years.

I can remember being a young girl and going along with my mother to talk to youth groups about abstinence. I would pass out the little papers or whatever. I'm sure my mom probably was looked at funny for bringing an 8 yr. old (or there abouts) to a group of high schoolers to talk about SEX and why they should abstain from having it!! But I am so thankful that she did. Even then God was calling me to this ministry, planting the seeds that would one day grow into a very special part of who I have become.

I recently heard a testimony of one of the girls that attended one of those meetings my mom taught. She is a woman now, it's been 20 years since that night my mom spoke to her and her friends. (It's really because of a "chance" encounter that we even know this story) During that meeting she said that she really didn't want to hear what my mom was saying. She wanted to do her own thing - and she did. In fact after that she left and pursued a life of promiscuity. But... She did hear those words my mom spoke, words God was whispering in her ear. And she continued to hear those words over and over until finally, God restored her to purity. She got married, had children and her and her husband are strong believers today.

The thing she said that God used to bring her back to the Lord, were the words of my mother. A self-sacrificing, sometimes tired and lonely volunteer who had a passion for Christ and a passion for women. God whispered those words to her over time, never forcing them on her or making her listen to Him. He slowly and patiently prodded her heart with His gentleness.

This is what I see every time I am in the BWC. Women who are following the example of Christ. Not yelling or screaming, but gently prodding with His words. Encouraging them with the fact that they have value and worth. That God loves them and He loves their unborn baby. That just like she was created in the image of God, her baby is too and that he deserves life.

They aren't looking for rewards or acclamation. But I can tell you, it can get discouraging. Just like anything else, when Satan knows that God has His hand on you, he wants to try and destroy whatever it is you are doing. They are at risk of that every day.

There are over 300 churches in Beaufort County. Only 12 financially support the center. There are hundreds of thousands of individuals living in Beaufort County. Only 120 support them on a monthly basis.

Would you like to be blessed? Stop by the center any time Monday-Thursday 10:00am - 4:30pm and drop off a check, a thing of toilet paper or paper towels, some flowers, a note, a hug, a thank you, a box of pens, stamps, computer paper... anything you have and could do without. Because Beaufort County shouldn't have to do without them.

Not everyone gets to know the ending to someone's story. But man, isn't it neat when we do??

Praise God! And thanks Mom for taking me along with you when I was just a little girl and encouraging me to not only take a stance for purity in my own life, but to fight for the purity of others and for the lives of their babies, and to reach out to a hurting woman suffering from the effects of abortion. You truly are my hero.

"And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper.."                                      1Kings 19:12

3 comments:

Kelly said...

And now you're my Hero Sister! I love you and I'm very proud of you, because you have listened to the call that the Lord placed on your life as a very young girl. I've always known you would be the missionary that you've always desired to be. May God continue to open doors for His glory!

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

o. mikal-i love u! this inspires me to make an effort to visit the bwc and bless them.

Mikal Qualls said...

No, no - YOU will be blessed!