Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Life is Good...

I thought it would be fun to upload some pictures that represent what our life has looked like lately. The past two months have been really, really good for us. It is so good to say that. Because it's not always good... God is always good, but life can be really hard at times. We have all experienced those times. So we know that finding encouragement in the mundane-ness of life can be, well, encouraging!




"In the Morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
In the Morning I lay my requests
before you and wait in expectation."
Psalm 5:3
Finding time in the morning to study the word and drink green tea has brought me great encouragement! It has been hard though. Not only because I am NOT a morning person, but when I find the house quiet it is so hard not to be distracted by all the things that I could be DOING!! But I never regret sitting down and reading God's very words written to me. It doesn't happen every morning, but I love it when it does.



Last month our church participated in the Baby Bottle Boomerang , a small fundraiser for the BWC. We brought the bottle home, set it on the counter and forgot about it. Well, at least I forgot about it. I was cleaning off the counter the other day and went to pick up the bottle to wipe underneath it. I stopped mid-wipe. There was a one dollar bill tucked inside. I hadn't put it in there and I knew Dustin hadn't. But it did have a certain child's signature fold. I almost started crying on the spot. I was so encouraged to see the heart of my child. I have to admit, I haven't turned in the bottle yet even though it was due a few weeks ago. It 'makes tears come down' (as Levi would say) every time I see it.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" Mt. 6:21


One of the things that attracted me to Dustin was the fact that he was a hard worker. My Daddy is a hard worker and there is just something about callouses on a man's hands. I was so encouraged to see Deacon helping his daddy put together our 'new' playground set. It was hard work, but he did it without complaint.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." 1Thes 4:11-12



The Q fam is known around town for their great oyster roasts and cookouts around the fire. It's something DQ loves and we all enjoy doing together. We started the Fall season off right by having a fire in the back yard, roasting hot dogs and making smores... Mmmm! It's encouraging to be with family.




Ok, maybe some of you wont get it. Don't feel bad, we didn't at first either. But after having Jac-Jac for almost a year, we are learning his quirks and his funny ways. We are also learning that exercise is important for everyone - even if you are a reptile. Come over at any point of the day and you might catch him mid-workout! I love it when I'm busy doing something and I hear a quick inhale of breath followed by a 'quiet' "Mom!! He's doing it!!!"



My Mamaw just celebrated her 78th birthday. And as a surprise my Uncle Robert, Daddy's brother, came down for her party! Daddy (R) started out pushing her, but then had Uncle Robert come from around the corner behind her so she wouldn't see him... 


He pushed her half way down the hall before she realized what was going on. At this point she still didn't know her son Robert was pushing her. She was just laughing because we were all laughing!!




The moment she realized it was Robert was just so sweet!! Happy Birthday, Mamaw! We Love you!
It's encouraging when you can be a part of bringing joy to someone else's life.

"Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, 'The Lord has done great things for them.' The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."  Psalm 126:2-3


Meet Josefina, the newest member of our family. I have been encouraged by watching Livie take care of and love her new 'child'. I remember being a young girl and my pretend world being so real. I had an American Doll that I dressed every day and put to bed every night, tucking her in tight so she wouldn't be cold. She made sure that the two of them matched Sunday morning. And there was no chance of leaving her in the car to "SUFFOCATE!!"



When I think back to what was going on in my life when God saw fit to bless us with Levi I am sobered. I have been writing about that time and thinking a lot about the blessing this little guy truly is to our family. I look forward to sharing with him one day the story of how God used him in our lives even before he was born.  This kid brings me so much joy. I am encouraged every day just by being with him. He is so funny and I love writing down the funny things he says. I put together a book at the end of the year to give to family of all the funny things the kids say and do. Here's a Sneak Peek:

"Daddy, you smell like quarters"

"You my buddy, Deke"

Drinking some of DQ's drink: It tastes like throw-up!
DQ: So you don't like it?
Levi: Yeah, I like it.

Mommy: What was one thing you like best about the story?
Levi: When they (Adam and Eve) were kicked out of the garden...

Levi took a big magnet off of the fridge. He noticed a smudge of something on it. So he licked it and then said, "MMmmm! Peanut butter!!"

"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:15-16

2 comments:

Alexandra G. Smith said...

hahaha Mikal those quotes made me laugh so hard :) especially "when they were kicked out of the garden"! hilarious!

Kelly said...

I love all the short stories..very warming to my soul...especially Jac-Jac...that's hilarious. What a great picture.