Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Daddy's Day

Once Upon A Time...

There was a little girl and her daddy. And they went birshin'.

Birshin'? You wonder.

Well, the little girl was only three and that was the best she could do. "Fishin'" was the correct way of saying it.

Well they went birshin' and caught all kinds of birsh. Big ones, little ones. Some they kept. Some they threw back. They hooked worms and ate sandwiches and then all of a sudden...!

BIG GIGANTIC  SNAKES... Came out of nowhere!

They were hanging from trees, falling in the boat. Swimming down the river right towards them!

Well, that little girl of three wasn't too scared cause she had her daddy with her. And she knew that he would protect her.

Sure enough, he grabbed his handy dandy pistol, that he must have kept in his boot, and started shootin'! I mean he shot that snake right OUT of that tree! And the ones swimming towards them, poor things didn't have a chance.

POW! POW! POW!

Her daddy was the best shot in the town, ya know.

And don't worry about the one that fell in the boat...

That daddy yanked that thing by it's tail. Flung it around his head a few times then threw it in the river!

She was so proud. But not surprised. Because, simply put, he was her hero.

So they counted their fish and drove that little john boat off into the sunset towards home.

----------------------------------------------

Well, folks, I am sad to say that the story you just read is all a lie, a fabrication. Yes, a bit of an exaggeration.

But what's even sadder is the fact that I didn't realize this wasn't true until just a couple of years ago.

See, the little girl was me. And my daddy really did take me fishin' in the little john boat along the Ashy Poo River when I was three.

But there were never any snakes.

I was telling this story to some of my family, fondly reminiscing, when Mom and Daddy stopped me.
They proceeded to tell me that I must have made this up in my head because, there were never any snakes! I couldn't believe it. I mean, I was truly devastated! I had not only believed this to be true my entire life, I had even told people this story, bragging on my daddy and how stinkin' great he was!

We all had a good laugh that night.

Later I got to thinking about how this could have happened. Where had the snakes come from (inside my mind) and how could I have believed for so long that this had really happened?

It didn't take me long to realize there was a simple answer.

I love my daddy with all of my heart and simply put, he's my hero.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I love you. And thanks for taking me birshin'.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I can still remember the look on your face when we told you the truth...

Dawn@OneFaithfulMom said...

Awww, I feel so bad for you!!! But I will say that sometimes Michael and Thomas relate things that happened when they were little and they are so far from the truth it is astounding!! I try not to tell them unless I really have to.